Essentially, grounding is bringing ourselves back into harmony with our natural state by reconnecting to the earth frequency. This process balances our present moment awareness between the body, mind and spirit. It helps energy flow within us to a greater degree.
It’s easy to become ungrounded when living in the city or with a life full of stressors. When you’re feeling drained, disconnected, anxious, depressed or feel fatigued, it may be helpful to use some grounding techniques.
There are varying degrees of being ungrounded. Here are some common behaviors that some exhibit:
- Constantly going from one extreme to the next
- Unwilling to take responsibility, “I dont want to deal with this!”
- Avoiding long commitments
- In the mind too much, overthinking
- Shooting energy all over the place, depleting energy reserves
- Spacey, unable to stay focused
- Easily feel overwhelmed or scattered
- Overly sensitive or very reactionary
- Aloof, out of touch with reality
If you are noticing some of those tendencies in yourself, it may be time to take a few moments to ground your energy.
How to Ground Your Energy
Luckily, there are many ways to ground our energy and reconnect to the natural frequency of the earth. Here are some suggestions that have worked for me:
- Go out in nature! Allow the air to fill your lungs and oxygenate your body. If you can, take your shoes off and put your bare feet on the soil.
- Eat grounding foods (potatoes, carrots, ginger, grapes, mango, papaya, olives, sweet potatoes, berries, figs, coconut, green beans…)
- Sit in stillness and use your breath and intention to connect with the earth. Allow the earth energy to flow up through your feet and fill your body.
- Take time to connect with plants. These can be indoor or outdoor plants.
- Use grounding essential oils on your feet. I suggest Cedarwood, Cypress, Vetiver, Melaleuca, or the Grounding blend. More info can be found here.
- Connect with your animals. Spending time with them, petting and loving them are great ways to ground.
- Use stones like tourmaline, onyx, obsidian or agate. You can keep them in your pocket throughout the day to stay grounded.
- Visualize. Focus on your root chakra and send a grounding cord down and anchor into the earth. Then allow the earth energy to flow up through this grounding cord and into your body.
When you’re grounded, you are able to be peaceful and present in the moment. Energy flows with greater ease. You feel an increase in mental clarity and it’s easier to focus and see things through. You have not increased your capacity to fill with love, peace, inner strength, courage, etc. You feel stable, capable and confident that you can handle whatever lies ahead.
Grounding also helps to integrate spiritual experiences into the physical realm. If you are wanting to remember your dreams or visions, grounding before bed or meditation can be extremely helpful. I guide clients in a grounding activity during healing sessions so that they can better integrate the experience into their daily lives. It’s especially helpful when breaking an addictive pattern.
Most importantly, know that grounding your energy is a bit like a muscle. With more practice, the easier and the more natural it feels. You’ll be able to tune in to yourself better and know when you aren’t in balance and need to ground your energy.