Emotions are our internal guidance system. They help us to make decisions, set boundaries, communicate, and connect with others & ourselves. When we are tuned in to them, we are able to take actions in greater alignment with our higher selves.
As you may expect, emotional wellbeing is not about controlling and suppressing our emotions. Instead, it relates to our ability to understand the value of our emotions and to use them to propel our life into a positive direction. When we have a healthy emotional state, we are better able to navigate change as well as recover from illness and misfortune. On the flip side, when we are not tuned in to emotions, it may manifest as dis-ease within our bodies.
I’ve put together these tips that have helped me to improve my emotional wellbeing:
- Be genuinely YOU! Listen to your heart, ask for what you want, set boundaries, stand up for what you believe in & express your self.
- Walk your talk. Take actions that are in alignment with your highest self.
- Love yourself unconditionally. Treat yourself well, nourish your body, do things that make you happy!
- Meditate. Take a little bit of time every day to tune into your being and just BE. Ground and center the body and mind so that you can tune into and interpret your emotions to a greater degree.
- Listen and explore. When negative feelings come up, notice and feel them. If you are angry or sad, find an appropriate way to channel that. Don’t keep it bottled up. Some find release doing things like writing, dancing, running or roughing up a pillow, for example. Use this as a way to explore the deeper root or cause of the emotions.
- Shift your focus to the positive. Once you’ve processed the emotions that have come up, take time to relax, pull the gems of wisdom from the experience and integrate it into your life.
- Use Plant medicine. Plants are extremely intelligent beings and plant medicine is a true healer for the emotions.
Healing the Emotions with Essential Oils
One of the best ways to promote emotional healing and well being is by using plant medicine. I like using essential oils. The oils get right to work at the very first whiff. They enter our olfactory system (in our brain). Here, they have profound physiological and psychological effects. Among the areas effected by the essential oil are the amygdala (responsible for storing and releasing emotional trauma), hypothalamus (autonomic nervous system and hormones), cingulate gyrus (regulates blood pressure, heart rate and attention) and the entorhinal cortex (which processes stimuli before sending them on to the hippocampus, the long-term memory center of the brain). Source: Modern Essentials 5th Edition
My favorite essential oil for emotional healing is Geranium. It’s the oil of love and trust. Restores confidence in the innate goodness of others and in the world. When there has been a loss of trust in relationships, geranium encourages emotional honesty, love and forgiveness. When you have a hard time accessing your emotions. It assists in re-opening the heart so that love may flow freely.
Another great one is Peppermint! This is the oil of a buoyant heart. It is invigorating and uplifting. It tunes us into the happiness that comes from being alive and reminds us that there is nothing to fear. It also can help us when we need strength to face our emotional reality.
Want to deepen your experience? Here’s a tip: Try experiencing an essential oil by greeting it as a living thing with its own intelligence. Have an open heart and mind. Release expectations, relax and just feel it in your body.
Would you like to know more about healing with essential oils? Click here.